Now that we have 4 chickens laying, we have a LOT of eggs! I think when I got home from work today we had at least 20, so something had to be done.
Kyle bought an issue of Clean Eating Magazine as a stocking stuffer for me, and there are tons of recipes in there that look good, this frittata being one of them. While I’m not super concerned with “clean” eating, I do like dinners that are low in calories and fat, that way I can have snacks before and dessert after without blowing the whole day. 🙂
I finally read the recipe through and realized I didn’t know what a frittata was… I assumed it was quiche, but its actually cooked completely in the pan, which is even better!
You start by sauteing the sausage and vegetables, then pour the egg/ricotta mixture over the top, put a lid on it, and wait. I am a little creeped out by undercooked egg whites, and considering this is 75% whites, I let it cook a little longer than the recommended 7 minutes, as well as broiling it a little before adding the cheese.
Hearty Sausage and Cheese Frittata
- Cooking spray
- 10 oz low-fat chicken or turkey sausage (about 3 links, I recommend the spicy chicken sausage from Safeway’s meat department, it available), casings removed
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 c red or green bell peppers, diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 6 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 c grated low-fat cheddar cheese