1. This stupid thing just deleted the big, long recipe I wrote. Lame.
2. This is the best onion ring recipe ever! I have to say, I’m completely addicted to the Campfire Sauce at Red Robin, and want to eat it with anything and everything! I found a “copycat” recipe the other day, and decided to try making some onion rings to accompany it. The sauce definitely wasn’t exactly like RR’s, but it was good enough for me! Everytime I’ve searched for it… or even asked my server what was in it, the answer I get is mayo and barbecue sauce. Does that sound awful to you? It sure does to me, and the few times I tried it, it was. It turns out the secret is actually what kind of barbecue sauce you use! I purchased Sweet Baby Ray’s Hickory and Brown Sugar sauce, as recommended online, and wow was it good! All you do is mix equal parts mayo and barbecue to get it! One site claimed to have some other ingredients that made it truly authentic, but you had to pay $.79, and they mailed you the recipe. I don’t mean email, I mean mail. In an envelope. Meaning I would have to wait 5-7 days to receive it. No thank you.
Anyways, I really recommend trying the onion ring recipe below, and for sure make the sauce to go with it!
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk, or as needed
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Seasoned salt to taste (which you don’t need when you have bomb sauce…)
- 1 quart oil for frying, or as needed